HELLO, EVERYONE! HOLA A TODOS!

A sheer pleasure to have YOU as a reader of my blog. At present my main teaching area is English so you will find that most of my posts are in English -my second language of communication. I promise to publish posts related to Spanish eventually; in the meantime, those of you interested in Spanish will find some interesting links regarding my native language. Truly hope you will visit my blog now and then; will try not to disappoint you!

Profile

Mi foto
GÄVLE, Sweden
I am an English/Spanish language trainer who thinks communication is a key issue in human interaction. Good sensible communication is needed whatever the language. On the personal side I strive for happiness by keeping love, respect and honesty as main ingredients. Last but not least, my smile is my trademark :O)

13 de marzo de 2009

FINDING INFORMATION ON THE WEB: "to google"

It's known widely that the Web has changed the way we search or access information. Just by typing in the key words the screen shows different URL (Uniform Resource Locator) addresses for us to check and see if they contain the information we are looking for.

Users of Google, one of the most powerful and widely used search engine, have coined a new word "to google" meaning "find certain information on the web". So now people say "why don't you google it on the web?".

If you google "to google", Wikipedia shows this entry:

Google (verb)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The verb to google (also spelled to Google) refers to using the Google search engine to obtain information on the Web. A neologism arising from the popularity and dominance[1] of the eponymous search engine, the American Dialect Society chose it as the "most useful word of 2002." [2] It was officially added to the Oxford English Dictionary on June 15, 2006,[3] and to the 11th edition of the Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary in July 2006.[4] The first recorded usage of google used as a verb was on July 8, 1998, by Larry Page himself, who wrote on a mailing list: "Have fun and keep googling!"[5]

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario